Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Aspen Powder


2014 Powder day in +Aspen/Snowmass

AHHHH!!!! If you have ever had the chance to experience a powder day this is what it looks like.  You could literally fall from the chair lift into a piece of heaven.  I have to admit, first time skiers/boarders beware.  Powder is hard to get use to and if your not an experienced rider be careful.

My first experience of powder was during a trip to Vail, CO.  The top of the mountain was a complete white-out.  I couldn't see three feet in front of me and the powder was so deep I kept getting stuck under a mound of snow.  Even as an experienced rider, my first time in that kind of powder was scary.  At one point I was buried so deep I had to call for a friend to dig me out.

Once I received a few tips from my buddies, I was enthralled with how much fun it was! I'm a boarder so my tip of advice is always keep the weight of your body on the back leg and keep your tip up as much as possible.  This only pertains to riding in deep sections like the picture above.  You gain speed so fast so get ready to eat snow until you get your powder legs.  After that the opportunities are endless, not to mention it's one of the prettiest views from the top of a mountain after a heaping of snow falls over the terrain.

Take the day off work and grab a powder day pass!

1 comment:

  1. I'd have to agree. Powder days are some of the best times to ride.

    ReplyDelete